I know that title looks a little dramatic, but honestly? That’s how I genuinely feel about my little AirPods.
For years I have been a loyal Bose fan. Nothing beat their noise-canceling headphones and their in-ears. When iPhone ditched the headphone jack, I was fine using a dongle for a while. There were times when I wished for Bluetooth (like when I needed to charge my phone on the train and still wanted to listen to music).
That paragraph could alternatively read: I resisted the AirPods. In part, I was still annoyed with Apple for getting rid of the headphone jack and also in part because I thought they looked ridiculous. For a long time, the only people I would see wearing them were finance-bro looking guys. And… meh. I didn’t like it. The first time I saw someone in person using them, I actually thought they had a little cigarette in their ear, haha!
Now that I’ve gotten my initial reactions out of the way, I eventually decided to try them after hearing rave reviews from everyone and I wanted them for my Apple Watch. They truly live up to the hype. I thought I’d only use them some of the time and go back to my Bose, but I use them almost exclusively now.
I love them for so many reasons. My top reasons:
1. They fit in my ears. I’m extremely picky about how in-ear headphones feel and stay. These pass my test with flying colors. After posting them on Instagram, I had a bunch of questions about whether or not they stayed in during workouts. I have personally had zero issues. I even ran two 5ks with them and they didn’t budge!
2. The sound quality is shockingly great. I figured Apple would release a great product, but the sound is AMAZING. You don’t get the noise-canceling effect which can be beneficial on a plane, but otherwise, they do the best job*.
* I’m adding a caveat to say that I’m no expert in sound, but they sound great to an amateur aka me!
3. The storage case is perfectly designed. It’s easy to charge the headphones in it (and btw, you can go quite a while without having to recharge) and it’s the right size for pockets and handbags. I thought I’d lose one of the pods, but the case makes it simple to keep track of. There’s also a very satisfying magnetic “snap” when the headphone pops into place.
4. INSTANT CONNECTIVITY. It’s ridiculous how fast the AirPods connect to your device (laptop, phone, or Apple Watch). I thought I’d have to search for a Bluetooth signal every time I used them, but nope! I pop them into my ears and boop! We’re connected.
5. The controls kind of confused me at first, but once I figured how to change the commands in the settings, it opened up a whole new world. The default is for a double tap to bring up Siri. But I added play/stop on my right ear so I can better control my music. (When you’re wearing them people might not immediately realize you’re listening to music because they don’t stand out like normal headphones.)
6. This is the biggest thing for me: phone calls! I take phone calls all the time and typically put my phone on speaker to do it so I can take notes on my computer. I am amazed by how well the AirPods work for calls. Despite being at my ears and nowhere near my mouth, I’ve never had someone say they couldn’t understand me. The first time I took a call, I was outside walking my dogs and I forgot I was even talking through the AirPods. I asked if he could understand me and he goes, “Yeah, why?” He couldn’t tell the difference between a phone or the headphones at all.
All in all, I’d recommend these, especially if you’ve been on the fence. My biggest concern (the way the look!) has also been dwindling as I see more and more people of all shapes and sizes wearing them. I think they’re becoming more ubiquitous so I feel less awkward walking around in public!
Anyone else love theirs?!