It’s been a little while since I last packed for living in a dorm room, but I thought it was worth bringing up again for you girls heading back to school– or for the moms who read with sons/daughters going back!
This isn’t an all-encompassing list… but rather it’s a list of commonly forgotten and commonly used items for college. Whether you’re going for the first time, or moving in again… double check to make sure you have these things:
– Pack more underwear… really, the more the merrier! You’ll be glad you did when you can push out laundry day a little more
– Pack fewer t-shirts and pajamas… t-shirts are handed out like candy on campus so don’t overpack your old high school t-shirts and you really don’t need five pajama sets.
– Business suit… you never know when a presentation will pop up or if you land an internship interview, be prepared and ready!
– Rain boots… the time you realize you forgot rainboots will be the day you have to walk across campus during a September monsoon.
– Rain jacket… should definitely have a hood!
– Puffer jacket… for the seasonally-too-soon cold front in October you weren’t expecting until December.
– Some kind of costume… costume parties are inevitable, just make sure it’s one you’re okay with your grandma seeing photos of on Facebook.
– Formal dress… fancy schmancy events do happen from time to time, this way you won’t have to spend a fortune the day before.
– Cocktail dress… this should be appropriate for a reception with professors and deans in attendance.
– Duffle bag… for a roadtrip to visit your roommate’s parents (home cooked meals….)
– Carry-on luggage… when you eventually need to go home for Thanksgiving.
– Noise canceling headphones… the library is loud and your roommate chews gum even louder
– Playing cards… just good to have.
– Checks… sometimes Paypal and Chase quickpay just won’t cut it.
– Medical history/prescription refills… for the Strep throat that the entire dorm gets, replacement contact lenses, and surprise allergic reaction.
– Emergency phone numbers… in hard copy: grandparents, doctors, best friends from home, etc.
– Extra posti-its and index cards… the school supplies you’ll use the most of.
– Extra pillows… pillows make sitting on the floor with friends and studying on your bed better.
– Mattress pad… have you ever actually spent the night on a XL twin without one? It’s not okay.
– 2 sets of sheets… again, the laundry situation…
– Stackable plastic bins with drawers… lifesavers for dorm storage. Two stacks of three drawers for under the bed.
– Bed risers… so your stackable bins will fit.
– Tower fan… because you may be able to control the temperature from in your room, but the building is switched to “heat” until May.
– Tool kit… be the hero of your floor with the Phillips head.
– First aid kit… just to be safe.
– Batteries… half of the things you need require batteries and you won’t know until your mouse doesn’t work anymore.
– Wrinkle release spray… LOL, who’s going to actually iron?
– Flashlight… the power will go off at least five times.
– Coffee maker… when you’re inevitably in a rush the next morning.
– 3M Strips & Hooks… space savers and they won’t get you in trouble with the RA during inspections
– Extension cords & Power strip… everything’s gotta charge and there just aren’t enough outlets.
– Duct Tape… something will break and you won’t know how else to fix it.
– Zip ties… because electrical cords everywhere can be a messy nightmare.
– Curtains… you can sleep in without mom making you wake up!
– Air freshener… when you need to freshen up but don’t want to do a dorm room deep clean
– Slim hangers… more space equals more clothes.
– Closet door shoe organizer… great for organizing all kinds of accessories, not just shoes.
– Garment bag… to keep your nice clothes wrinkle free and smelling fresh.
– Jewelry storage… little boxes to store in drawers and things to hang your huge statement necklace collection on.
Did I miss something?! What’s something you think is a total “don’t forget” for college packing?