Do you guys have traditions around the holidays? Traditions are some of my favorite things in the world. Not everyone is dedicated to making sure they happen every year, but that’s 60% of the fun for me!
I also love hearing about other family traditions. I’m sharing some of my favorite traditions here and would love to hear what you and your family/friends do in a comment:
1. Getting matching Christmas pajamas has to be one of my favorite traditions. Some of the years we plan ahead and others we scramble at the mall a day or two before Christmas. (At that point you never know what you’re going to get, but it’s still fun.)
2. On Christmas Eve, my family goes out to dinner. We normally do some kind of Chinese or Thai restaurant, but we have reservations this year for one of our usual favorite restaurants.
3. My dad and his side of the family are Jewish and this year is an official “Chrismukkah” with Hanukkah starting on Christmas Eve. We typically mesh the two holidays anyway, but since this year there’s real overlap, it’ll be extra fun. I think we’re having the family over on Christmas day to celebrate.
4. On Christmas morning, my mom makes an egg casserole and we have a really slow morning. We definitely had crazier Christmas mornings as kids, but I think we were never camping out under the tree and waking up at the crack of dawn. I way prefer the super slow morning where we take our time drinking coffee and eating breakfast together.
5. Once we’re ready, we open one gift at a time taking turns between everyone. Normally my mom has the most gifts from friends (haha), but it’s fun to see what everyone gets. There’s also only four of us and this extends the whole unwrapping time by a bit!
6. With our extended family, we instituted a $2 gift rule. Honestly, this is the most fun and $2 is REALLY hard to shop for. Everyone spends the year trying to find the perfect, most creative, funniest, biggest-bang-for-your-buck $2 gift. We’ve been doing this for years and I think with inflation we allow $3….. My mom always gets everyone scratch off lottery tickets. So fun!!
7. When everyone is over we pull out games (Mad Gab and Yahtzee are always our favorites). It tends to get extremely competitive, but we all still laugh hysterically. Except, of course, when someone is gloating about their third Yahtzee of the round.
8. And we end the night with s’mores out by the firepit. I think this year we’ll also get the movie theater set back up so we can watch movies while we eat the s’mores!
Okay, dying to know what some of your favorite traditions are!