I wanted to do a big update of what we’ve done around the house and what still has to be done. In some ways, it feels like we’ve done a lot and then in other ways it feels like we have a long way to go. Most of it is pretty boring and behind the scenes but has eaten up a lot of time:
– Setting up WiFi/cable: this should have been pretty easy but the Fios connection was inadvertently cut at some point…. so we had to have a whole new thing come in and the house re-wired with the fiber cable thing. At some point, we’ll have to pull all the old wires out because I keep finding them in random places (like closets?)
– I had our TV hung on the wall with the wires hidden which was a whole ordeal. (The guy who came to do it quit his job in my living room?) And we have our old bookshelves flanking it now, but eventually I want to have built-ins put in and potentially paint the fireplace white.
– Our kitchen is fully set up which feels amazing. We just need to buy a rug, further organize some of the cabinets, and get the shelves styled perfectly. I was so nervous about storage space because of the open shelving but we actually have more than enough space! I think it’s my favorite space in the whole house!
– I’ve also been working with Kira to decorate some of the empty spaces (our guest room, master, and “formal” living room) so that’s been a lot of back and forth behind the scenes. (Oh and she had her baby!!!)
– The house didn’t have a washer or dryer when we bought it so it was pretty exciting to buy a set. I was so excited for it to show up and it nearly didn’t make it down the stairs. The delivery guys and I had to unscrew the railing down to the basement to make it fit!! We got this top-loader and this dryer and have been loving the set so far!!
– Even as I’m typing this… I just keep thinking about how much stuff we have left to do. From landscaping to rugs to organization… there’s a lot to do. The house is more than livable right now but I’m anxious to get everything in its place!
Here are some picture updates:
We have this cute little nook of a porch in the front of the house. I was searching high and low for rocking chairs with a certain “look.” I didn’t want anything boxy or bulky and had a difficult time finding it. I found these at Target. They were relatively easy to put together but each one had a (non-essential) broken piece… but nothing a little super glue couldn’t handle.
I still want to get a little side table for in between the two chairs and a couple of outdoor pillows.
While we’re still figuring out the space, we’re just using the furniture we already had from old apartments. I keep having to remind myself that there’s no rush and to take our time. Honestly, it works for now and I don’t mind the look at all. As our other empty spaces come together, I’ll work on the dining room + sunroom.
This room is definitely the dogs’ favorite spot. It’s a cute little sunroom with built-in bookshelves. The light in there is amazing. Perfect spot to get a little work done or to just sit back and read.
Daybed (coverlet is from Home Goods)
The whole upstairs is pretty much a blank slate. It’s what I’m most overwhelmed by but I know it’ll come together over time. Our master bedroom is quite literally empty, besides our closets! There are three bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs: the master bedroom (empty), the guest room (currently a hodgepodge of old furniture), and my office (a total work in progress).
I didn’t want to give up the option for another guest space in that third bedroom, but I also didn’t want it to feel like a guest room with a bed. So I went the daybed route. After lusting over a few options from Serena and Lily (I got very close to getting this in gingham!), I found this one at Walmart. Admittedly, it doesn’t look great on their website and the review kind of scared me but I rolled the dice anyway. I’m so glad I did. It’s amazing and even better than I pictured. I need to do a little reworking of the space (there are some constraints with the furnace + two doors + two windows) so there’s a small chance I will have to part with my beloved desk (and/or store it in the basement) and get a smaller one for the room.
I was initially unsure if my white couch would even fit in this space. It’s on the tighter side of things but it worked! The side tables and lamps will likely be temporary only. A rug is on its way and I am OBSESSED with this coffee table. It seemed a little expensive and it was a white glove delivery. But it’s even better than I was expecting. Still need to do some styling for it.
While I’m here, I’ll just give another shoutout to this couch. Yes, it’s white and yes, I have two dogs. The entire thing can be washed and with a touch of OxyClean, it comes out looking brand new. I wash the covers for the cushions about once a week and the big part about once a month to keep things looking extra clean. I’ve had it since 2015 and it’s really holding up perfectly.
The kitchen was like this when we moved in. There’s still a hole for a microwave in the island but I’m having a hard time finding the right size so I’ve put it on hold for now. I got these chairs for it and Mike and I love having dinner there almost every night. I’ve also been plugging in my laptop and doing work there during the day! I like the light that there’s now (again, came with the house), but I think we’ll end up switching it up down the line.
Probably the thing that I am most excited about is our closets! I went to the Container Store and designed the guest room closet and Mike’s closet in our master bedroom. (My closet is a funny shape so it’ll need something custom if I do anything with it down the line.) They turned out great, but the PANTRY gets me the most jazzed. Besides the lack of washer and dryer, the lack of pantry made me nervous. This tiny sliver of a closet used to be a second coat closet (we also have a big one immediately next to the front door) so it was a little redundant. I had the Elfa shelves put in and it instantly turned into a pantry. I went back and got all the organization for it and seriously couldn’t be happier. The back of the door organizer is what really took the pantry to the next level. We actually have so much space in there that I don’t know what to do with all of it!
PS Can you tell that Hamilton follows me around everywhere? 😂 I swear on my life that I don’t force him to pose… he’s just always there!!