At the beginning of the summer, my hair dryer fizzled out. One morning it just started going half power and the next wouldn’t turn on at all. (Naturally, I was out of the warranty.) I loved that dryer, so I considered just replacing it with the newer model of it. But as I was shopping online, I kept coming back to the Dyson Hair Dryer. You know, that super expensive one that looks super futuristic?
On a whim, I bought it.
I’m usually not someone who makes impulsive, expensive buys so it was a little out of character. I just bought it and had it delivered with same-day delivery.
After spending all summer using it, I have to say this has been the best buy. It’s been so worth it for my hair.
Initially, I wasn’t totally sold on it being “worth it.” I couldn’t decide if it was that different than another powerful, more traditional blowdryer. However, I started to get the hang of it and now I have absolutely cut down on the amount of time it takes to dry my hair AND I find that my hair is so much smoother. I feel like I’ve gotten a professional blow out every day, without ever leaving my bathroom. It also doesn’t hurt that people keep asking what I’ve been doing differently with my hair. I swear, other than the dryer everything (even the technique) has remained the same. It’s a GAME CHANGER.
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT:
– It feels great to hold. Seems like a silly reason to consider for a blow dryer, but it really makes a difference. The motor is actually in the handle, which serves as a silencer too, and it makes so much more sense ergonomically. Other blow dryers now feel so top-heavy to me when I try one.
– It’s quiet! It’s not totally silent but it sounds completely different than a traditional blow dryer. It sounds a little bit like a tool in a dentist’s office, in a nice way though (promise!).
– Cuts down on drying time. To be honest, I have no idea WHY it dries hair so much faster but it totally does. Over the years I have perfected my at-home blow out. Using a Dyson only makes the process that much faster!!
– My hair is so much smoother and thicker. Over 100 engineers were involved in the research for the dryer and it shows. The dryer is engineered to measure the temperature of the air so it never gets too hot and leaves hair silky smooth. Where other dryers would leave my hair flat once smooth, now it retains a significant amount of volume.
– The magnetic attachments. First of all, the attachments for the dryer are incredibly satisfying to click on. It’s a great feeling when it snaps into place. The dryer comes with a nozzle, a concentrator, and a diffuser. I’ve been using the smoothing nozzle for everyday styling.
WHAT I DON’T LIKE ABOUT IT:
– The cost. Because it’s so expensive, it can be tough to justify. Is the time-saving in the morning worth the markup? If your hair is fine and naturally straight/smooth, you might not care so much about saving four minutes every day. If your hair (like mine) is thick and naturally very frizzy, both the time saving and extra smoothness is absolutely worth it.
– Some outlets work better than others. This is a VERY weird and super specific issue. I haven’t seen anything referenced about this online so it could just be my dryer. I’ve noticed that occasionally when I’m traveling, some outlets cause the dryer to not blow as hard as when I’m at home. I don’t know why, but it’s happened twice. One at my friend’s house when I plugged it into a random outlet (not in a bathroom or heavy trafficked area) and another in a hotel. I could still use the dryer just fine, it just felt like it wasn’t blowing as hard as it usually did.
Try It & Love It
With all my travel this summer, a bunch of my friends have been able to try mine. Almost everyone with thick hair who tries the dryer out either went home and bought it or said they’re going to ask their significant other for it for Christmas. Seriously. Everyone. It’s a major investment but if you have thick, unruly hair you know what it’s like to try anything to get it under control.