I’m actually kind of excited about turning 30… but even still I was thinking about how much happens in your twenties. I don’t think I fully realized just how defining the decade is until I was well into the latter half of it. It’s only when I looked back on everything that happened since turning 20 did I realize just how important, and relevant, every decision and choice I made was for where I ended up today.
Anyway, when I turned 29, I started building a mental list of a few things I wanted to do before I turned 30. Some were totally fun (like doing karaoke), some were to push myself outside of my comfort zone (like going to a concert… I know, I know), and some were dreams I had (like buying a house). The list started to grow and I eventually transferred it from my head to my iPhone. As I was typing another one, I thought it’d be fun to put together a solid thirty things I wanted to do before I turned 30.
I’m nearly two weeks out from my birthday, so the clock is ticking to get everything done. I actually know, for sure, I won’t be able to do everything… It’s doing more than two things every month, which isn’t totally realistic. I joked that I should have made the list when I turned 20 if I had any hope of finishing the whole thing. But it’s still fun to write it all down as an exercise… and who knows. Hopefully it’ll inspire some fun this year!
1. Do Karaoke // I did this a week after my birthday!!! I wanted to bowl and do karaoke and we did both. It was even better than I imagined it would be. The whole group agreed that it was such a fun night; we want to do it more!
2. Travel to a new country // I thought I was going to Greece next week, but the trip fell through last minute. I need to plan a trip to somewhere new!
3. Go to a concert // This sounds so lame, I know, but concerts don’t really appeal to me, but maybe I’d actually enjoy it now that I’m an adult. I’ve only been to two real concerts: Back Street Boys in fifth grade and High School Musical (lolol).
4. A weekend without a phone // I’ve done post-free weekends, but I haven’t done a full one without my phone completely!
5. Run a 5k // I hate running, like, hate it hate it. Except, running 5k races I’ve determined is actually a lot of fun. Something about the energy of being surrounded by tons of other people! Makes it so much easier. I think we’re going to do the Turkey Trot as a family again!
6. Take a dance class // I still need to do this. It was one of my goals for the year, so I’m lumping it in here. I definitely want to take a tap class and now I’m kind of thinking I want to do hip hop!
7. Buy a house! // This is not something I’m going to force if it doesn’t happen, but I am itching for a house. I already hit my savings goal for a down payment, so it’s really just down to finding a perfect house now. It’s been fun though!
8. Go on a family vacation // We haven’t been on a proper family vacation in a few years. The four of us are going to have to work some magic to coordinate schedules to make it happen.
9. Road trip somewhere // This is kind of an open-ended one. I love to drive and think it’s an easy and fun way to get from Point A to Point B as long as you’re patient and have a good list of podcasts and audiobooks to go through.
10. Consider skiing a black diamond (oh god) // Please note, I put “consider” up there. I don’t know if I’d actually be able to do it…. but I want to give it a try. I swear my palms get clammy just thinking about it!
11. Take a photography class // I have been practicing photography quite a bit lately and I took a few online courses through Skillshare. I’d love to do an in-person class or workshop.
12. Send a letter to a friend every month // I love the idea of sending a little snail mail just because.
13. Take golf lessons // My friends and I have been dying to do this! We’re also going to try to do tennis lessons together too, but I definitely want to get back into golf. I golfed in middle school and my freshman year but gave it up when I joined the crew team. (Fun fact, I had a “golfchick2oo8” AIM screenname, haha.
14. Do a DEEP (deep) closet cleanout // I did a pretty good cleanout when I moved earlier this year, but I know I could do a better job. I need to channel my inner Marie Kondo and go for it.
15. See two Broadway shows // I LOVE Broadway and despite living 20 minutes away from Times Square, I don’t go to see shows nearly as often as I could or want to.
16. Read three “classic” books // I always struggle with classics. I love reading and usually get bored reading them. (I know, I’m the worst, but it’s the truth.) Would love recommendations of your all-time FAVES.
17. Make an appointment w/ professional makeup artist for makeup tips/lesson // I’ve gotten so much better about my makeup routine, but I do the same thing every single day. Would love to sit down with a professional and get personalized advice!
18. Learn and nail a signature dish // I can follow a recipe no problem, but I’d love to have a go-to “signature” dish. Whether it’s a meal, appetizer, or side.
19. Scan all family photos into digital files // This has been on my “to do” list. Might just be my Thanksgiving project. (Or I might be lazy and just send the photos away to a service where they do it for me.)
20. Finish writing my book // I need to just commit to getting it done. I made a lot of progress this summer. I started scheduling time on my calendar just to write and that’s definitely helping me as I’m finding time for it versus keeping it on the backburner to “do tomorrow.”
21. Learn another recipe from my grandma // Would love to sit down with my grandma and have her teach me another one of her recipes.
22. Be on the Today Show // This has been a goal of mine for as long as I can remember…. THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE YEAR.
23. Go to a comedy show in NYC // Maybe I’ve been watching too much Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but I want to do this!
24. Splurge on something for my 10-year anniversary // I already know this is happening… it’s just a matter of deciding what to do!
25. Visit Martha’s Vineyard // I love love love Nantucket, but have yet to venture over to the Vineyard. Going to make it happen this year.
26. Go on a meditation/yoga retreat // I would love to find a quick weekend retreat for yoga or meditation. Meditation has become such a giant part of my life and it’d be nice to explore it even more.
27. Bake a perfect soufflé! // After going to Eleven Madison Park for dinner this summer, I’ve been obsessed with the idea of mastering a soufflé.
28. Grand Canyon with Stacy // Stacy and I both agreed to put this on the list. We’re dying to visit the Grand Canyon and can’t believe we haven’t gone.
29. Fly first class somewhere // I’ve been upgraded a couple of times, but it’s never been on a long flight. I’d love to splurge on first class at some point for a fun adventure!
30. Buy a piece of art // I want to start collecting more art pieces and supporting artists whose work I love.